Thursday, February 17, 2011

Art 21: Barry Mcgee and Kerry James Marshall

 I did not choose Kerry James Marshall because I enjoyed his art. I chose to write about him because I liked his thought process. I liked how he talked about when he was in Kindergarten his teacher used to tell him to be good and his reward was looking at a scrap book full of art. When he read it, it brought tears to eyes. Then after that his dream was to make people view art the same way he viewed that scrap book. I've don't usually take the time to think about how other people would view my art. I usually just come up with an idea that I think would look good, I don't tend to think about what other people will think of it. He seems like a very wise and experienced artist.

  On the other hand I really enjoyed Barry Mcgee's art a lot. I enjoyed how he liked doing his work on walls. I also like his view on spray paint. Since I've been working with spray paint for my independent project, it gave me a different view on the material I was working with. I also liked his personality, I liked that he was quiet and refined, but also a bit rebellious at the same time. I also liked his studio, I'm not sure what it was about it exactly but I did like it.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like these two were kindred spirits for you JK. Sometimes it's an artist's process that can inspire us the most. That's what's so great about Art 21. It gets beyond the finished product.

    ReplyDelete